Sunday, January 17, 2016

Heartbroken Goodbyes

This is a really hard picture to blog about.  I think Lucas was the one to take this picture.  He wanted a picture of Ibis to keep in his heart.  This was the last morning we had Ibis with our family.  Poor guy had a rough couple of weeks but seemed to be maintaining his baseline health until this last night.  It happened so fast.  Hunter and I returned from the Bristol parade and I noticed that he was having trouble standing up on his back legs.  It was a sign of what was to come.  I spent the rest of the night with him in my arms.  Carrying like a baby in and out of the house and helping him stand in the night for him to use the bathroom.  He was and amazing dog and as bad as it was in the end I would never leave him, never let him feel alone.  I hope he knew how much we loved him and enjoyed him.  It was a long night but I found peace in knowing there was nothing else we could do and I knew Ibis had an amazing life but he could endure no more.  I laid Ibis in the dog bed as I cooked breakfast for the boys and Kona came to lie down with him.  I would like to think he was keeping him company and saying his own doggy goodbyes.  In the short time they knew each other, Kona looked up to Ibis and enjoyed his company.  This is the last morning and the last picture we would have of our sweet Ibis.  Until we meet again my love...I know you are running free.  Please send Abby our love and forever in my heart you will be.

No comments: