Monday, March 10, 2014

First trip camping!


I really don't think I can put into words how much fun this trip was for our family.  It was the end of the summer, right before the temperatures were starting to get really cold at night.  As you can see in the first picture the water was still warm enough to play and swim in.  David and I got a few swims in as well but we opted to wear our nice warm tri suits!

 Lucas and I Kayaking and I am embarrassed to say that I don't know the name of the water.  We were camping at Kerr Scott Damn and I think this is a section of the Yadkin river.
 Uncle Larry and Hunter fishing.  Hunter has the same kind of patience as his dad.  He could sit and fish all day long, even if he never catches a thing.  I think this is one of his best qualities and quite unusual for a five year old.  They did catch some fish and I need to find that picture.  Uncle Larry took it and I need to save those pictures for the blog.  I will post it when I find it!  After the first evening of fishing I asked Hunter if he caught anything and his response was, "we didn't catch anything but we had a few tight pulls."  That seemed to be good enough for him!
 Our sleeping quarters.  I used to tent camp with Nana and Uncle Larry as a child and I think I like the pop up tent camping much better.  The kids were so exhausted from playing all day they went right to bed and didn't get up to at least 8!  Yahhooo!
 Taking a hike around the lake.  Lucas spent his time looking for dinosaur bones and muscadine grapes.  There were wild grape vines growing up the trees throughout the trail.  The kids loved finding them and learning that you could eat them.

 Sweet Chloe helping Lucas in the water.  She likes to swim as much as Hunter likes to fish.  She wanted to swim all day and Hunter wanted to fish all day!
 Our campsite and kitchen for the weekend.  Nana is a great cook in the kitchen indoors and out!  Hunter loves to help me at home and he loved learning how to cook outside.  She made and amazing pork tenderloin in the dutch oven with biscuits.  It was delicious!!!  We also had an amazing breakfast complete with eggs, bacon and cinnamon rolls.  Yummy!
 A complete picture of our campsite.
 More fishing!
 Mommy and Lucas enjoying the water!

This camping trip was a huge success!  We played hard and took advantage of every minute.  David and I had a chance to break in our wet suits.  David was able to mountain bike with good friends and I was able to enjoy a long trail run through the woods.  We all enjoyed the company, the campfires, the stories, the camper…I could go on and on.  We can't wait to go back and do it again!

No comments: